Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful.

Although it may be cliche to make a list of what I'm thankful for during the Thanksgiving season, I feel that it's important for people to find what they are thankful for and take time to notice the positives in life. Sometimes I feel that around this time of year until after Christmas, people get really overwhelmed by the commercial aspects of these holidays when it should be much more than that. Yes, it's fun shopping and doing the gift stuff and all that, but it's deeper than that I think. Ever since I was young I felt this connection with Thanksgiving and Christmas because it just had this warm feeling. Everything from decorating the housewith holiday music on, to putting lights up outside with my dad every year and trying to do something really different, to the baking treats with my sister, or wrapping the gifts that I know will really surprise someone, or seeing the cheer that some people have during the holidays, or the feeling of the air when I can say "It feels like Thanksgiving/Christmas day", or watching the classic holiday movies on t.v. even though I've seen them all so many times, to the regular traditions that we've had every year...it all gets me excited and it's hard to describe the feeling.

Anyway like I said, it's important to be thankful not only on Thanksgiving, but all the time. We get so stuck on complaining and be so negative about pretty much EVERYTHING, that we don't even take time to realize the really good things that we should appreciate.
So, here's my list of what I'm thankful for:
1.) The fact that I have always stayed true to myself and for my strength for helping me become who I am.
2.) The way I was raised.
3.) Having a job and being able to make my own money.
4.) Being able to attend college and get a degree
5.) Not having to worry about food, having clean clothes, clean water to shower with, not having electricity, etc.
6.) My pets (past & present) because they seriously are there for me in more ways than they will ever know. They provide/have provided so much joy in my life. For the ones that have passed, I am so happy I was able to have them in my life even if for a short time because they brought so many good memories & happiness throughout my childhood.
7.) My family for being so supportive and bringing me up the way I am. I am so glad to have both my parents alive & in my life.
8.) My sister because she honestly is my greatest friend and I can't even imagine my life without her. We have gotten so close over the past few years & I'm so lucky to have her in my life.
9.) My real friends (the very few I have). This includes some new friends I have recently made. Some people have been so helpful, caring, and have tried to help me get through some stuff and have fun as well. I have really needed that.
10.) A certain person at UWG for helping me get through so much when I was feeling the lowest. She has opened my eyes to some of my great qualities and who I am. She made me see some light again when I was in a dark and lonely tunnel. Things may still be hard and I may not know what the future holds, but because of her I have been able to gain more strength. That's the one good thing that came out of all this mess.
11.) My health. I am so grateful that I hardly have to worry about health issues at the current moment. So thankful that I have use of all my limbs & can function without any type of assistance. I can walk with both legs, see, hear, talk, move, breathe, and etc. so I'm so thankful I am generally healthy!

Give Thanks :)

If you're reading this and you celebrate Thanksgiving, then I hope you have a Safe & Happy Thanksgiving AND...THANKS for reading :D

No comments: