Friday, April 27, 2012

Looking Back.

So it's officially here, my college graduation. After tomorrow I will have accomplished a big milestone in my life and achieve my undergraduate degree in early childhood education. Now, most people in my situation are or would be ecstatic to be graduating, but me...not so much. Don't get me wrong I am SO excited and proud of myself for reaching this goal and for graduating with Magna Cum Laude honors (3.87 GPA-yay!), but the future is scary to me. I don't really even have the passion in my degree I used to have. I don't know what my next step or what path I'm going to take next. I know a lot of people are going to ask me, "So what are you doing after you graduate?". Honestly, I don't know and I wish I did, but I'm just going to take it a step at a time and have faith in myself that no matter what choice I make, I will be successful. I just have to be patient and optimistic and as always, determined. 

Anyway, I wanted to do a post looking back at my 4 years of UWG and college. I swear it feels like I was just moving into my dorm room in 2008 with my family helping me. It was such a big adjustment and although I did fine, I didn't feel completely connected until more recently. I had so many great memories, laughs, experiences, and friends from UWG. 
So here's a list of all my memories:

-Hanging out with Brittney, Tyrone, & Sabrina freshman year. They were my first group of friends on campus and we had so many laughs, random jokes, late nights, and memories. I'm glad I had them there to share our first year experiences together especially since I didn't know anyone really.
-Pretty much my WHOLE entire sophomore year except for a few things here & there. I feel like my relationship at the time was at a great point, which sucks now, but looking back I truly miss those memories like going to the Heat/Hawks game & New Moon premiere. My classes that year were really interesting and I feel like my mind opened up even more when I took an educational diversity course (my favorite class I've taken). I started volunteering at the animal shelter and with Love Not Litter. Met some great people in the process and found my favorite part of being in Carrollton--working with the animals at the shelter.
-Being co-president of Love Not Litter even though it was difficult and time consuming at times, I still enjoyed it and I like knowing I had somewhat of an impact on the campus and the environment. Plus, I gained leadership experience which helped me a lot.
-The cohorts I had with Amanda & Ruth. They have been my education major friends and it's been helpful to have them to remind me or help me with anything we had to do. We enjoyed some laughs especially with some of the classes we had! I don't think I could've handled working on the file folder project without them for those 10 hours!
-Being at UWG during Summer 2011 and just enjoying little things like living in Arbor View, getting a GTL from Starbucks before class, and my gym routines. I even liked my roommates during summer and of course I lived with them the shortest time period!
-Going to Zumba and meeting Sophia during my senior year. The late night talks we had in the TLC parking lot after zumba and at her apartment after American Horror Story girls nights were so much fun. I felt like I was really able to connect with her and vent/cry to her when I was feeling down about some issues. It really sucks to have to leave after finding someone I could really bond with! 
-Going to all the gym classes I went to like yoga, zumba, krunk, and running the track. I got a lot of stress out at the gym and was able to just let go and have fun in the classes. So glad I made the decision to go to those classes this past year! I'm really going to miss all the fun and excitement in zumba & krunk. I know I won't be able to find that anywhere else!
-My student teaching experiences, even though some weren't the greatest. I met some great teachers and some students that really touched my heart. I honestly think my student teaching experiences have helped me grow a lot as a person because I used to have such a fear to get in front of people, but I became more comfortable and confident. 
-All the times Leila was able to come stay at UWG with me. It was great to show her around and enjoy time with her like when we went to 6 flags, the UWG football game & parade, La Trattoria, power naps and then late night shopping, and me falling out of my desk chair and her laughing at me.
-When Leila & Ashley came to UWG in February of this year. We had SO many laughs and I was so glad to see them both. ZOMBIES! haha
-Living with Tango in my own apartment. Even though living with random roommates is pretty much TERRIBLE and annoying, I still enjoyed being able to have Tango as comfort. I think he made a big difference in my happiness even though that might sound crazy, but he brought me joy! It was amazing to FINALLY have my own bathroom and kitchen.
-Living on my own in general. It's REALLY going to suck to revert back to living at home for a bit. I mean I LOVE Gwinnett and my house and my family, but I'm at the age where I'm just ready to be independent and on my own to be honest. It's going to feel weird to reverse it a bit, so hopefully I can get a job & move out quick!
-Ludacris Concert!!!!! That was my first real concert and I had SO much fun with my friends. We were probably some of the most hype and excited people there. We danced and sang to every song. I wish I could relive it again!
-My on campus job. I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED my job on campus. I seriously am so lucky to have been able to work in such a great environment and with some really amazing people. My supervisor and grad assistant for the program have been like mentors to me. I have gained SO much from knowing them and being around them. They have made a huge impact on me and I greatly appreciate it and will miss them dearly!
-Finding strength in myself the past year and becoming what I am. I still always look back with shock and amazement that I was able to accomplish what I did under the circumstances I had to handle. I made a 4.0 for the past 2 years of college and was an overload student for 1 whole year. So, considering all that went on and still doing so well, I just can't believe it. I'm proud of myself for making it through and although I still struggle, I am getting better with handling those emotions, pains, and downfalls. Pressure Makes Diamonds & I am determined to become that diamond! :)
-Meeting with someone who was probably my BIGGEST impact in college for part of my senior year. I don't talk about this to many people because I don't feel like explaining myself, but she helped me gain my strength and realize I can be okay. I could easily relate to her and I was so shocked how similar our beliefs were. I came to her unsure, broken, and so hurt. I was able to talk about my frustrations, pain, and worries with so much trust. I honestly looked forward to every Friday when I would see her because I felt such a relief talking with her. Having her there to listen and help me process the hurt I felt has saved me I believe. I was at SUCH a low point and she was someone who I could rely on. So glad I had made the decision to make an appointment because it has made a HUGE difference and I am forever grateful for that.

So it's apparent as to why I don't want to leave this great university. I am very attached and have such a valuable time here. I will truly miss it and the people I've come close with, but I will have to visit in the future. West Georgia will always be a part of me and I'm so glad I went here. On to the next chapter...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats

Loretta said...

thank you!! :)